Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I-Zon: Like 'HDTV' For Your Glasses

It's kind of like HDTV for your glasses. A company in California says it's created a pair of spectacles that can let you see better than you ever thought possible.

Denise Woodward has worn glasses since fourth grade, but she's never seen this clearly. Woodward says, "Everything is much more crisp, clear. I can see the car in front of me, I can read the license plate, I can see details I didn't see before in the dark driving." This perfect vision is courtesy high resolution lenses called I-Zon. Woodward says, "Colors. They pop out at you now. It's just completely different vision."

Doctor Steve Koos says this machine can not only give you an accurate prescription for your eyes, it also takes an occular fingerprint. Dr. Koos says, "Your eye's curviture is not a perfect curve like a camera lens. It has different curves in different parts. What this instrument does is it measures about eleven thousand different points on your eye and determines where those aberrations or distortions are." The blueprint is sent to a lab which crafts the lenses custom made for your eyes. No two are identical. Dr. Koos says, "For the first time I can actually get you to see better than your original equipment was designed even if you don't need glasses."

No comments: